Wednesday, September 1, 2004

Still Water Cove Part 2

We left Santa Cruz around 12 pm headed for Monterey. It was mom's favorite kinda sailing - sunny skies, and steady wind, but not too strong. We had a great time.

Here is a picture of my mom and me on that leg of the trip. We ended up getting into Monterey about 3:45pm - so a very short hop across Monterey Bay.

As we are entering the Harbor, we are greeted by all these barking dogs....

I am so excited, I can barely keep myself on the boat.

But I manage, especially when I see where we are going -- do you see that small opening straight ahead, that's the entrance to the marina, hardly seems like we can fit, huh? Glad I'm not driving.

So, after we got tied up safe in our slip, we went walking around. Mom found out that the beach right there by the pier, and out for about a mile, is legal off-leash dog play area, WHO HOO!!! We made good use of that information.

When we returned, mom and dad let me walk off leash on the dock and I went a little ahead, looking for guacamole and stuff (for those of you who don't recall, in the San Leandro marina I went on a boat and ate their guacamole - mom and dad were mortified). All of a sudden, I see one of those sea lions, right on the dock!!! So I ran to give him a piece of my mind and see if I could wrestle up a game on the dock like I do with my doggie neighbors at home. Well, he got up as tall as he could and started to roar at me - I just kinda froze, guess I shouldn't have run up barking, huh?!? Luckily for me, dad was able to come up the dock behind me and pull me away by my hips. Mom and dad told me I really gave them a scare.

Mom went back to get a picture of the sea lion and here he is giving her the evil eye. He eventually calmed down and went back to sleep. Later that evening, I had to scare another one off the dock that jumped up right next to our boat! It was a good thing I was on guard, mom and dad were watching a movie down below.

The next morning, we had breakfast at this cafe which is very dog-friendly. We also met a puppy who is cruising down to Mexico from Canada with his parents. I didn't get a picture of him, but I wish I did, I bet he is going to have lots of adventures.

While dad went to turn in the keys, I got to take some time to look around the marina at all the fishing boats. We are about to leave for Stillwater Cove.

Our sail to Stillwater was easy. The wind was good to start off, but by the time we rounded into Carmel Bay, we were motoring.

Here's a picture from our boat (anchored at Stillwater Cove) looking across Carmel Bay. It's beautiful. There's lots of Seaweed, but there's a path into the anchorage. My dad took our dinghy all the way to that far point that you can see and caught a couple of nights of dinner for us.

They even had these cute little creatures called sea otters. There is a dog at the dog park back at home that looks just like this. But mom told me they were very special and I shouldn't even bark at them. We just silently watched them hunt for food and swim around - they were kinda cute, but I think I would have still tried to play with them if they came onto the beach.

This is Buddy - he's the harbormaster's dog, and I knew this would be a great couple of days when shortly after we dropped the anchor, the harbormaster rode up to our boat with Buddy on his bow.

I was a happy puppy. That hook you see is for these little lanterns we have for the cockpit. I'm not hanging on the lifelines... Just didn't want you to be concerned.

Here I am playing on the beach with Rosie - she's also a sailor dog.

I also made time for napping.

Buddy and the harbormaster had a great surprise for us, the Pebble Beach Golf Course allows dogs off leash after the golfers are finished playing - so I was going to have a chance to play on this beautifully manicured lawn (they were tending to it everyday).

Oh, I love the ball.

Pacifica golf course shot.

My Pebble Beach cover shot.

When mom told me these were for cleaning golf balls, I made her try to clean my tennis ball. I hate when the sand gets in my teeth from my dirty ball (but not enough to stop playing).

Dad being cute with my Chunk-it.

The beautiful anchorage (Pacifica is all the way to the left).

While we were playing on the golf course, I gave mom and dad another scare (and me too for a little bit). I kinda went exploring a little down this cliff and then gravity got the best of me and I had to scramble all the way to the bottom. But imagine my surprise when I had my very own private beach, so I took some time to explore the tide pool till mom and dad started calling me frantically back to them. Luckily, off to the side, there was a steep trail that I was able to get back up on - or dad would have had to come get me in the dinghy ( hey, maybe that would have been better, I love the dinghy).

Here's another view of the cliff from the water.

One day we went to lunch in Carmel at Forge in the Forest. It was great, they have a special patio dedicated to doggies. Right when you sit down, they bring water to your parents and a water bowl for you too! They even had a doggie menu, so after mom and dad ordered, the waiter said, "And for the doggie?" Then I heard mom say, "we'll get the quarter hounder for her" YIPEE!!! I was so happy, I didn't know what it was, but this place had good smelling stuff, so I'd take anything they bring me. Well, it ended up being a 1/4 pound Angus Beef burger. I think I heard mom and dad talking about how good it looked - good thing they didn't try it, but I guess I would have shared since they sometimes save a bite of their food for me. Anyway, that blue bowl has my burger in it and I only gave mom one shot at a picture, right after this was taken, I shot over to scarf down my lunch....Aaahhhhhh...

I mentioned how I always wake mom up early, well, that also leaves me available for the sunrise photo.

Finally, after 3 days in Stillwater, it was time to start heading home. Look at all the seaweed dad pulled up with the anchor - I told you he was a good fisherman!!!! I was very disappointed to see him throw back all of this - I'm sure there was some good stuff in it - I guess he thought we really should be getting on our way. So we left around 7:15 in the morning. Mom and dad expected this to be a long day and for us to get into HMB (Half Moon Bay) around 7:30 tonight.

It was really foggy at first but cleared as we entered into Monterey Bay. Just off of Santa Cruz, we saw what dad told me was probably a baby blue whale - he was alongside of us a couple of boat lengths away and heading South - I yelled out to him to stop at Stillwater Cove, but I don't think he heard me. As he left behind us, he waved with his entire tail (uhhh, fluke).

A little bit later, while dad was in the bathroom, mom saw a whale come flying completely out of the water (this is called breaching), she started yelling for dad to hurry out - then a second whale breached, as dad came out, a third one breached, then finally, a fourth which dad was able to see. Wow, mom and dad surely seemed excited about that. I love them and all, but I hope they don't wish I would jump and flip out of the water like that.

So, we were motorsailing down the coast to HMB, around 4ish, the motor shuts down - we ran out of fuel. Dad says that's ok, we're a sailboat, so we start sailing. Unfortunately, the wind is coming straight out of HMB, so it adds time to our already long day. Finally, as the day wore on, the wind continued to tease us by dying. So we nursed the sails to bring us into HMB, only to have the wind completely die about 1/4 mile outside of the harbor entrance. So around midnight, we dropped the anchor to keep us from drifting on to the very dangerous reef they have there and waited and rolled in the swell. The Harbormaster wouldn't be able to give us a tow until 3am. Finally, around 2am, a nice fishing boat named Malesa came by and gave us a tow into the marina.

The next day we relaxed in the marina, had a mechanic come down to work on our engine, and played on the beach.

But we had to get on our way again. You can probably tell, I'm having trouble recovering from the hours spent rolling in the swell waiting for a tow the night before last. But don't worry, I was able to snap out of it.

It was very foggy most of the way home, with a little clearing in the middle.

Here's a shot of us going right under the Golden Gate Bridge - you can barely see it above us.

From a little far away, you can see the fog bank stopped just under the gate - Weird.

Finally, here we are coming into Berkeley. We had a great time on our vacation, but it is nice to be home again. But I did hear dad ask if we wanted to sail to Sam's Cafe tonight -- He can't be serious, can he?

No comments:

Post a Comment